Monday, January 27, 2014

Pesky, Ugly Seams!

I am in a few yarn groups and have noticed that a lot of people have a really hard time with seams when crocheting a hat that requires joining at the end of each round. The biggest complaint is that it spirals around the hat.

There are several ways to remedy those ugly seams. Of course, there is always crocheting in a continuous round. I do some of my projects that way but my stitches are not as straight as I would like. You can also join, ch and then turn your work and crochet going the other direction. I don't think the seam is as flat with that one, but it does hide it fairly well and it is straight.

I'm going to share the technique I use most. First, I never count the ch as a stitch. When starting the hat, whether using the magic circle or chaining first, never count the chain as a stitch. If you pattern requires 12 sts in the circle or in a chain st, only count the actual stitches, pretend that the ch isn't even there. Then, when you come to the end of the round and you are ready to join with a slip stitch, be sure to slip stitch in the first actual stitch of the round, skipping the ch. Make sure you pull it snug each time and your seams will be flat, and almost invisible. They won't be perfectly straight but they will be close and they won't spiral around the hat. I have also noticed that seams are not as noticable if they are placed in the back and to the left or right.

When I crochet a hat with ear flaps, I put my seam right where one of the ear flaps begin at the back of the hat. The seam is harder to see when this is done. The eye is not drawn to that area of the hat.

If you need a visual, here are two videos that might help. One is for double crochet and the other is for single crochet. You can also do this with half double crochet. The concept is the same.


Hopefully this helps you. I know there are probably better ways of hiding a seam, this is just one I like to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment